So, I have changed my mind at the semi last minute and decided to go ahead and attempt to use the testing option as the girls’ proof of progress instead of portfolio evaluations this year. After much contemplation we decided that going this route is much more economically feasible for our family. It is actually 1/3 of the cost of the portfolio evaluation!
Therefore, I ordered two of the tests today actually for Jamilah and Hawwa. The results don’t have to be turned in until Aug. 1. Also, another homeschooling acquaintance told me that I am allowed to look over the test and basically teach to the test just like they do in public school. Another bonus is that at the younger levels, the test administrator which is me is permitted to read the test to the student.
I am a little apprehensive about going this route, but I think it is always the unknown which is frightening. I am making du’a that the children will be successful at being tested and we can continue to use it in future years, insha allah. I think we will miss the evaluator visiting us and showing off our work, but I for one won’t miss the prep work involved nor the bill.
Recently, I did come across another evaluator who was advertising her services for much cheaper. She was willing to do a correspondence evaluation through email or snail mail. We will keep that option in the back of our heads if the testing doesn’t work out.